In this episode Kathleen and Emily talk about what it means to be professional and making your own rules when you are your own boss.
- Being Boss has a Facebook group! So much valuable conversation and connection is happening over there: Join us to talk about which investments you’re making/planning on making in your business over there!
- If you like Being Boss please rate & review us on iTunes – it helps us connect with more bosses to grow our amazing community!
- Check out our Being Boss Bundle today! It’s a combination of Kathleen’s DIY Coaching for Creatives email subscription and Emily’s Get Your Shit Together email subscription including all of our best tips, tactics, and worksheets straight to your inbox!
- Kathleen shares how her dreadlocks have affected her business
- Emily & Kathleen talk about redefining professional with your personal style
- Beyond style, Emily & Kathleen discuss our own professional boundaries and where we draw the line
- Emily & Kathleen chat about what unprofessional looks like (like placing blame and making excuses)
- Examples of things we do that might typically be considered unprofessional (like cussing and working from home)
- How to blend who you are and what you do while remaining professional
- A few tips and exercises on how you can actually redefine professional for yourself and bring more professionalism into your creative career.
KATHLEEN SAID:'My hair doesn’t define how professional I am or am not.' -@andkathleen Click To Tweet 'Staying vague about money and how much you charge is unprofessional.' -@andkathleen Click To Tweet 'Being professional is not being afraid to ask the tough questions.' -@andkathleen Click To Tweet 'Redefine professional by making your own rules.' -@andkathleen Click To Tweet
EMILY SAID:'Being professional is one of those things I’ve had to redefine for myself.' -@EmilyM_Thompson Click To Tweet 'As creative entrepreneurs we get to choose how we do business.' -@EmilyM_Thompson Click To Tweet 'Taking things too personally can be a huge professional block.' -@EmilyM_Thompson Click To Tweet 'Never make assumptions on what your client considers professional.' -@EmilyM_Thompson Click To Tweet
Resources discussed in this episode:
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
- Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook by Gary Vaynerchuk
- Music: “humm ok” by Gablé
More from Kathleen:
- Braid Creative
- Free Braid ebook: 7 Ways Designers Become (& Brand Themselves As) Creative Experts
- And Kathleen (personal blog)
- The Braid Method Branding ECourse
- DIY Coaching for Creatives
More from Emily:
- Indie Shopography
- Emily M. Thompson (personal blog)
- Toolkits: a subscription service of guidance & tools to help you run your business like a boss, delivered straight to your inbox
- free Online Business Webinar Series
- Indie Tactics newsletter: free exclusive biz tips and tricks
- GYST Subscription
Connect with us on Instagram:
- Being Boss Podcast – @beingbosspodcast
- Kathleen – @andkathleen
- Emily – @emilym_thompson