Grant Faulkner of NaNoWriMo joins us to talk about the writing process, owning the title of “writer,” and getting past blocks or struggles to make writing a part of your routine and write your first or next novel.
This episode is brought to you by:
Small Business Accounting Software Designed for You – Sign up for a free trial.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- What is #NaNoWriMo?
- Owning the title of “writer”
- Building writing into part of your routine
- Why is it so hard to write and how can you shift that mindset?
- Examples of authors that have published books from NaNoWriMo
- Getting past blocks and struggles of writing
- Exercises for writers
- What does it mean to take a risk in your work?
- Tips for becoming a better writer
GRANT SAID:Big things are built in small increments. Click To Tweet If you shift your attitude toward something you're doing, you can change it. Click To Tweet I don't believe in writer's block because if you can create one sentence, it leads to another. Click To Tweet Too many people wait for inspiration, but you create inspiration. Click To Tweet
Resources discussed in this episode:
- Rainbow Rowell
- Hugh Howey
- Marissa Meyer
- Erin Morgenstern
- Sara Gruen
- On Writing by Stephen King
- Hunger by Roxane Gay
More from Grant:
- National Novel Writing Month
- NaNoWriMo’s Young Writers Program
- Pep Talks for Writers
More from Kathleen:
More from Emily:
- Indie Shopography
- Rock Your Web Design Business
- free Online Business Webinar Series
- Indie Tactics newsletter: free exclusive biz tips and tricks
Connect with us on Instagram:
- Being Boss Podcast – @beingbossclub
- Grant – @grantfaulkner
- Kathleen – @andkathleen
- Emily – @EmilyM_Thompson