In today’s episode of Being Boss, Emily and Kathleen talk about feeling like a fraud, falling into the comparison trap, and coping with perfectionism.
This episode is brought to you by:
- Being Boss has a Facebook group! So much valuable conversation and connection is happening over there: Join us to talk about which investments you’re making/planning on making in your business over there!
- If you like Being Boss please rate & review us on iTunes – it helps us connect with more bosses to grow our amazing community!
- Check out our Being Boss Bundle today! It’s a combination of Kathleen’s DIY Coaching for Creatives email subscription and Emily’s Get Your Shit Together email subscription including all of our best tips, tactics, and worksheets straight to your inbox!
Topics discussed in this episode:
- What makes you feel like a fraud? Exploring “fraudulent feelings.”
- Getting in the right mind: How to move past those fraudulent feelings.
- Accepting that doing new things for the first time is part of growing in your business. Getting over those fraudulent feelings of not being an “expert” when you’re providing a service for the first time.
- Liberating yourself from doing things you’re not good at and that you hate doing so that you can focus on the things you’re really amazing at.
- Practicing good habits and routines to banish fraudulent feelings.
- Avoiding the mindset of needing things to be perfect before you move forward. Learning how to launch before you’re ready.
- How to find proof that you’re not a fraud.
- Defining your role in your business and what you do for your clients.
- Finding your creative pack support system to share your feelings. of insecurity so that you can banish your self-doubt.
- Reframing fraudy feeling and using them to fuel your business.
KATHLEEN SAID:'Having negative feelings about other people is usually just negative feelings you have about yourself.' @andkathleen Click To Tweet To be an expert, you don't have to know it all. And to be a business owner, you don't have to do it all. @andkathleen Click To Tweet 'Sometimes to be an expert, you just have to be two steps ahead of who you're helping.' -@andkathleen Click To Tweet Sometimes having the idea is enough. Then you can spot the opportunity a more easily along the way. -@andkathleen Click To Tweet
EMILY SAID:As we get older, we let frustration stop us. Kids don't let self-doubt stop them from trying again. @EmilyM_Thompson Click To Tweet Claiming your expertise and moving forward in your business doesn't mean you won't make mistakes. -@EmilyM_Thompson Click To Tweet 'Trust that you will know the answers when the time comes.' -@EmilyM_Thompson Click To Tweet 'You can always test and change. Nothing in life is unfixable.' -@EmilyM_Thompson Click To Tweet
Resources discussed in this episode:
- Being Boss Episode #3: Redefining Professional
- Marie Forleo
- The #AskGaryVee Podcast
- Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook by Gary Vaynerchuk
- Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
- Becky Murphy 2014 Circle Conference talk
- Inc Uncensored podcast
- Martha Beck life coach training
- Claire of vidyacleanse.com
- Tony Robbins
- Music: “humm ok” by Gablé
More from Kathleen:
- Braid Creative
- Free Braid ebook: 7 Ways Designers Become (& Brand Themselves As) Creative Experts
- And Kathleen (personal blog)
- The Braid Method Branding ECourse
- DIY Coaching for Creatives
More from Emily:
- Indie Shopography
- Emily M. Thompson (personal blog)
- Toolkits: a subscription service of guidance & tools to help you run your business like a boss, delivered straight to your inbox
- free Online Business Webinar Series
- Indie Tactics newsletter: free exclusive biz tips and tricks
- GYST Subscription
Connect with us on Instagram:
- Being Boss Podcast – @beingbosspodcast
- Kathleen – @andkathleen
- Emily – @emilym_thompson