Today we’re talking to Meg Keene, who built the empire that is A Practical Wedding. She’s written a best selling book under the same name and just launched A Practical Wedding Planner which is a must read for any of you boss listeners who are getting married. But today – we’re just going to have a real conversation with Meg about motherhood, being a literal boss of employees, and manifesting what you want.
This episode is brought to you by:
- We’re going to Miami! Hang out with us for real in Miami this April—on a yacht! This will be the only official Being Boss Vacation of 2016. But hurry! Space is limited and these boss vacations sell out fast. Sign up here.
- Being Boss has a Facebook group! So much valuable conversation and connection is happening over there: Join us to talk about which investments you’re making/planning on making in your business over there!
- If you like Being Boss please rate & review us on iTunes – it helps us connect with more bosses to grow our amazing community!
- Check out our Being Boss Bundle today! It’s a combination of Kathleen’s DIY Coaching for Creatives email subscription and Emily’s Get Your Shit Together email subscription including all of our best tips, tactics, and worksheets straight to your inbox!
- Join the fun in the next #beingbosschat on Twitter! We’re chatting from @EmilyM_Thompson on Wednesday, February 17th at 6pm CST.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Starting a blog as a business plan
- Dealing with haters and privacy boundaries
- Building a business that’s separate from your personal space
- Boundaries as a mom and a boss
- Manifesting dreams
- Hiring employees vs firing employees
- Managing a team and having hard conversations
- Delegating and control
MEG SAID:'It's your show, so you should be making the choices.' -@MegKeene Click To Tweet Every time I put my trust in others, then the business grows hugely because I'm not the be-all, end-all. -@MegKeene Click To Tweet I can choose to have a hard conversation or not, but I have to own that choice and it's on me. -@MegKeene Click To Tweet 'The hardest thing is hiring someone to do what you do well.' -@MegKeene Click To Tweet 'The more I let people play to their strengths, the stronger the company is.' -@MegKeene Click To Tweet
Resources discussed in this episode:
- “Escape from the Internet”
- Being Boss Episode #48: Boss Integrity with Jay Pryor
- The Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
More from Meg:
- A Practical Wedding
- A Practical Wedding: Creative Ideas for Planning a Beautiful, Affordable, and Meaningful
- Celebration by Meg Keene
- A Practical Wedding Planner: A Step-by-Step Guide to Creating the Wedding You Want with the Budget You’ve Got (without Losing Your Mind in the Process) by Meg Keene
More from Kathleen:
- Braid Creative
- Free Braid ebook: 7 Ways Designers Become (& Brand Themselves As) Creative Experts
- And Kathleen (personal blog)
- The Braid Method Branding ECourse
- DIY Coaching for Creatives
More from Emily:
- Indie Shopography
- Emily M. Thompson (personal blog)
- Toolkits: a subscription service of guidance & tools to help you run your business like a boss, delivered straight to your inbox
- free Online Business Webinar Series
- Indie Tactics newsletter: free exclusive biz tips and tricks
- GYST Subscription
Connect with us on Instagram:
- Being Boss Podcast – @beingbossclub
- Meg – @megkeene
- A Practical Wedding – @apracticalwedding
- Kathleen – @andkathleen
- Emily – @emilym_thompson