Today’s boss guest is our good friend and content coach Erica Midkiff. She’s talking with us about finding your voice, why writing is important, making time to create content, how to get past creative blocks, and what to do when you feel like nobody is listening. Erica Midkiff is a content coach who helps creatives listen to and trust themselves so they can share what they know with those who need to hear it most.
This episode is brought to you by:
- We’re going to Miami! Hang out with us for real in Miami this April—on a yacht! This will be the only official Being Boss Vacation of 2016. But hurry! Space is limited and these boss vacations sell out fast. Sign up here.
- Being Boss has a Facebook group! So much valuable conversation and connection is happening over there: Join us to talk about which investments you’re making/planning on making in your business over there!
- If you like Being Boss please rate & review us on iTunes – it helps us connect with more bosses to grow our amazing community!
- Check out our Being Boss Bundle today! It’s a combination of Kathleen’s DIY Coaching for Creatives email subscription and Emily’s Get Your Shit Together email subscription including all of our best tips, tactics, and worksheets straight to your inbox!
- Join the fun in the next #beingbosschat on Twitter! We’re chatting from @EmilyM_Thompson on Wednesday, February 10th at 6pm CST.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Why is writing important?
- Using writing to process ideas for yourself + the clarifying walk
- How to find your voice in your writing
- What to do if you don’t know what to write about
- Writing content for newsletters
- Influence vs copying when finding your writing voice
- Creating content for multiple platforms
- Editorial calendars
- Writing About pages
- Making time for writing
- Giving yourself the permission to work the way you work best
ERICA SAID:'If you don't communicate with yourself, it's hard to communicate with others in any meaningful way.' -@EricaMidkiff Click To Tweet 'Writing, in essence, is how we communicate with the people we are meant to help.' -@EricaMidkiff Click To Tweet 'Working in your brain is not really working, it's just obsessing.' -@EricaMidkiff Click To Tweet 'If a blog feels like a ton of horrible work, don't do it.' -@EricaMidkiff Click To Tweet Write for the people who will see themselves in what you're writing and go 'YES! Someone gets me!'- @EricaMidkiff Click To Tweet
Resources discussed in this episode:
- Joanna Goddard
- Marie Forleo
- Danielle LaPorte
- Ash Ambirge
- Lena Dunham
- Nora Ephron
- Strengths Finder Test
More from Erica:
More from Kathleen:
- Braid Creative
- Free Braid ebook: 7 Ways Designers Become (& Brand Themselves As) Creative Experts
- And Kathleen (personal blog)
- The Braid Method Branding ECourse
- DIY Coaching for Creatives
More from Emily:
- Indie Shopography
- Emily M. Thompson (personal blog)
- Toolkits: a subscription service of guidance & tools to help you run your business like a boss, delivered straight to your inbox
- free Online Business Webinar Series
- Indie Tactics newsletter: free exclusive biz tips and tricks
- GYST Subscription
Connect with us on Instagram:
- Being Boss Podcast – @beingbossclub
- Erica – @ericatmidkiff
- Kathleen – @andkathleen
- Emily – @emilym_thompson