In today’s episode of Being Boss, Emily and Kathleen welcome their first guest, Danielle Krysa of TheJealousCurator.com who shares her experiences with self-doubt and that criticizing voice we each have in our heads as well as her journey of using that self-doubt to fuel her success.
Danielle is an art curator, painter, and advocate for artists everywhere through her blog, The Jealous Curator, her series of workshops (Girl Crush), her two (soon to be three) published books, and her various talks at Alt Summit, Creative Mornings, Oprah’s OWN, and for schools, art groups, and companies like Pixar.
This episode is brought to you by:
- Being Boss has a Facebook group! So much valuable conversation and connection is happening over there: Join us to talk about which investments you’re making/planning on making in your business over there!
- If you like Being Boss please rate & review us on iTunes – it helps us connect with more bosses to grow our amazing community!
- Check out our Being Boss Bundle today! It’s a combination of Kathleen’s DIY Coaching for Creatives email subscription and Emily’s Get Your Shit Together email subscription including all of our best tips, tactics, and worksheets straight to your inbox!
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Realizing that everyone—from amateurs to successful creatives—faces self-doubt and succumbs to the negative self-criticizing voice in their head sometimes
- How to handle negative criticism
- Allowing yourself to be vulnerable and ignoring your inner critic so that you can create amazing things
- Moving from jealousy to admiration (and the opportunities it creates along the way)
- How to balance creative responsibilities and creative passion projects
- Allowing yourself to celebrate successes and avoiding making yourself smaller for the sake of others’ feelings
DANIELLE SAID:My professor said: You should never paint again. If he hadn't broken me, I wouldn't have a book deal. @jealouscurator Click To Tweet This jealousy is literally eating you alive, but if you say it out loud, it'll turn into admiration. @jealouscurator Click To Tweet I realized I'm not the only one with that inner critic. Every creative person feels exactly the same. @jealouscurator Click To Tweet You can't make art that everyone in the world is going to like. Imagine how lame that art would be. -@jealouscurator Click To Tweet 'Just make. Make sure you have creativity in your life every day in some little way.' -@jealouscurator Click To Tweet
Resources discussed in this episode:
- The Jealous Curator blog
- Danielle’s Creative Morning talk in Vancouver on Friday, April 3rd
- Kathleen’s blog post about The Jealous Curator
- Jealous Curator turning point post: Jealous & Alone…or Maybe Not
- Unblocking project assignments (first Saturday of the month) #creativeunblock
- Lisa Congdon Whatever You Are, Be a Good One
- Music: “humm ok” by Gablé
More from Danielle:
More from Kathleen:
- Braid Creative
- Free Braid ebook: 7 Ways Designers Become (& Brand Themselves As) Creative Experts
- And Kathleen (personal blog)
- The Braid Method Branding ECourse
- DIY Coaching for Creatives
More from Emily:
- Indie Shopography
- Emily M. Thompson (personal blog)
- Toolkits: a subscription service of guidance & tools to help you run your business like a boss, delivered straight to your inbox
- free Online Business Webinar Series
- Indie Tactics newsletter: free exclusive biz tips and tricks
- GYST Subscription
Connect with us on Instagram:
- Being Boss Podcast – @beingbosspodcast
- The Jealous Curator – @thejealouscurator
- Kathleen – @andkathleen
- Emily – @emilym_thompson