Many creative entrepreneurs we speak to feel unfocused and scattered, but it’s not for a lack of ideas. Many creatives are talented or interested in LOTS of things. Or some creatives know they have a creative spirit, but feel like a jack of all trades / master of none. So today we’re talking about finding your creative focus and how to shift your focus if you want to change directions or add more to the mix.
This episode is brought to you by:
- Being Boss has a Facebook group! So much valuable conversation and connection is happening over there: Join us to talk about which investments you’re making/planning on making in your business over there!
- If you like Being Boss please rate & review us on iTunes – it helps us connect with more bosses to grow our amazing community!
- Check out our Being Boss Bundle today! It’s a combination of Kathleen’s DIY Coaching for Creatives email subscription and Emily’s Get Your Shit Together email subscription including all of our best tips, tactics, and worksheets straight to your inbox!
- Join the fun in the next #beingbosschat on Twitter! We’re chatting from @EmilyM_Thompson on Wednesday, November 18 at 6pm CST.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Finding focus and getting distracted
- Finding something you LOVE to do vs. finding something you find interesting
- Focusing on one thing at a time
- Feeling scattered and distracted
- Shifting focus
- Asking for what you want
KATHLEEN SAID:'Blogging isn't just about sharing your gifts of knowledge, it's also an experimenting ground.' -@andkathleen Click To Tweet 'What are you confident in? That's a really great place to find focus.' -@andkathleen Click To Tweet So many creatives self-sabotage by focusing on what's 3 steps ahead instead of just the next step. -@andkathleen Click To Tweet 'You will not gain creative confidence by getting stuck in your own head.' -@andkathleen Click To Tweet You don't need a plan for every single thing you do. Just do it, have fun with it and see what happens. -@andkathleen Click To Tweet
EMILY SAID:'It's not about doing what you love, it's doing what interests you long enough to stick with it.' -@EmilyM_Thompson Click To Tweet 'You have to find your groove. Focus is something that comes with an understanding of a task.' -@EmilyM_Thompson Click To Tweet 'In order to do well in each phase of your business, you need to focus on one thing at a time.' -@EmilyM_Thompson Click To Tweet 'Talking is not doing, thinking is not doing, planning is not doing. Doing is doing.' -@EmilyM_Thompson Click To Tweet 'It's a habit of entrepreneurs to monetize everything. It's okay to keep interests just for you.' -@EmilyM_Thompson Click To Tweet
Resources discussed in this episode:
- My Fight / Your Fight by Ronda Rousey
- Rising Strong by Brené Brown
- Emily’s blog post: Do What You Find Interesting
- Katie Dalebout of The Wellness Wonderland
- Do the KIND Thing by Daniel Lubetzky
- The Hermetic Tarot Deck
- Lisa Congdon
- Becky Simpson
More from Kathleen:
- Braid Creative
- Free Braid ebook: 7 Ways Designers Become (& Brand Themselves As) Creative Experts
- And Kathleen (personal blog)
- The Braid Method Branding ECourse
- DIY Coaching for Creatives
More from Emily:
- Indie Shopography
- Emily M. Thompson (personal blog)
- Toolkits: a subscription service of guidance & tools to help you run your business like a boss, delivered straight to your inbox
- free Online Business Webinar Series
- Indie Tactics newsletter: free exclusive biz tips and tricks
- GYST Subscription
Connect with us on Instagram:
- Being Boss Podcast – @beingbossclub
- Kathleen – @andkathleen
- Emily – @emilym_thompson