Carolyn Elliott of Bad Witches Magazine is joining us today to help us indulge our woo woo side. We found Carolyn in our Being Boss Facebook group when she posted a link to an article she wrote on Medium about her bizarre philosophies that helped her go from seriously broke to her first 5-figure month being her own boss. So today Carolyn is talking with us about her philosophy on money and about what it means to be a witch and practice magic.
This episode is brought to you by:
- We’re going to Miami! Hang out with us for real in Miami this April—on a yacht! This will be the only official Being Boss Vacation of 2016. But hurry! Space is limited and these boss vacations sell out fast. Sign up here.
- Being Boss has a Facebook group! So much valuable conversation and connection is happening over there: Join us to talk about which investments you’re making/planning on making in your business over there!
- If you like Being Boss please rate & review us on iTunes – it helps us connect with more bosses to grow our amazing community!
- Check out our Being Boss Bundle today! It’s a combination of Kathleen’s DIY Coaching for Creatives email subscription and Emily’s Get Your Shit Together email subscription including all of our best tips, tactics, and worksheets straight to your inbox!
- There is no #beingbosschat Twitter chat this week! Enjoy the holidays with your family and friends!
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Owning your creativity & being selfish with creating for yourself
- The exchanging of money for creatives
- Defining magic and what it means to be a witch
- What it means to be a witch in relation to religion & owning other identities
- Liberation and attachment in relation to desire
- Taking responsibility for what is going on in your life
- Spells and physical things you can do to manifest (practical magic)
- Creation and individual vs divine will
CAROLYN SAID:'There is no such thing as selfish creativity; it's just research for a profound level of truth.' -@carolynelliott_ Click To Tweet 'There is no such thing as selfish creativity; it's just research for a profound level of truth.' -@carolynelliott_ Click To Tweet 'Magic is a lot like lucid dreaming. The hard part is getting lucid in the first place.' -@carolynelliott_ Click To Tweet 'Spells are symbolic, physical sensory actions that initiate a sequence via synchronicity.' -@carolynelliott_ Click To Tweet 'The path of magic reaches the realization of non-duality through the cultivation of desire.' -@carolynelliott_ Click To Tweet 'A witch is basically a person who is freethinking, freecreating, and exercising her power.' -@carolynelliott_ Click To Tweet 'A witch is someone who has integrated, acknowledged and taken responsibility of their shadow side.' @carolynelliott_ Click To Tweet Witchiness pure and simple is being able to light someone up just by putting your attention on them. @carolynelliott_ Click To Tweet 'The key to freedom from attachment is enjoying the feeling of desire without grasping at the end.' -@carolynelliott_ Click To Tweet 'I love visualization but the physical dimension really anchors your magic in the physical world.' -@carolynelliott_ Click To Tweet 'Some of the greatest witchiness happens when cooking dinner.' -@carolynelliott_ Click To Tweet
Resources discussed in this episode:
- Sacred Economics: Money, Gift, and Society in the Age of Transition by Charles Eisenstein
- American Visionary Art Museum
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Martin Heidegger
- The Gift: Creativity and the Artist in the Modern World by Lewis Hyde
- Debt: The First 5,000 Years by David Graeber
- Aleister Crowley
- Financial Sorcery: Magical Strategies to Create Real and Lasting Wealth by Jason Miller
- Plato’s Symposium
- Being Boss Episode #48: Boss Integrity with Jay Pryor
- Lucky Mojo Curio Co.
- The Lucky Mojo Hoodoo Rootwork Hour Radio Show
More from Carolyn:
- Carolyn’s Medium article
- Carolyn Elliott The Art of Having
- Bad Witches
- “Thrill” Masterclass
- “Influence” Practical Magic Course
- Awaken Your Genius: A Seven-Step Path to Freeing Your Creativity and Manifesting Your Dreams
- Super Connectors Podcast
More from Kathleen:
- Braid Creative
- Free Braid ebook: 7 Ways Designers Become (& Brand Themselves As) Creative Experts
- And Kathleen (personal blog)
- The Braid Method Branding ECourse
- DIY Coaching for Creatives
More from Emily:
- Indie Shopography
- Emily M. Thompson (personal blog)
- Toolkits: a subscription service of guidance & tools to help you run your business like a boss, delivered straight to your inbox
- free Online Business Webinar Series
- Indie Tactics newsletter: free exclusive biz tips and tricks
- GYST Subscription
Connect with us on Instagram:
- Carolyn – @carolynelliott_
- Being Boss Podcast – @beingbossclub
- Kathleen – @andkathleen
- Emily – @emilym_thompson