Happy New Year! This is the 52nd episode of Being Boss, which means we’ve been podcasting for a whole year! Today we’re talking about New Years resolutions, what went well in 2015, what sucked, and what we’re looking forward to accomplishing in 2016. We decided to bring on our boss boyfriends, Paul Jarvis and Jason Zook, to chat with us about this topic!
This episode is brought to you by:
- We’re going to Miami! Hang out with us for real in Miami this April—on a yacht! This will be the only official Being Boss Vacation of 2016. But hurry! Space is limited and these boss vacations sell out fast. Sign up here.
- Being Boss has a Facebook group! So much valuable conversation and connection is happening over there: Join us to talk about which investments you’re making/planning on making in your business over there!
- If you like Being Boss please rate & review us on iTunes – it helps us connect with more bosses to grow our amazing community!
- Check out our Being Boss Bundle today! It’s a combination of Kathleen’s DIY Coaching for Creatives email subscription and Emily’s Get Your Shit Together email subscription including all of our best tips, tactics, and worksheets straight to your inbox!
- There is no #beingbosschat Twitter chat this week! Enjoy the holidays with your family and friends!
- Being Boss Podcast has an official Instagram account! Follow us Instagram here.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Directional goals vs. number-specific goals
- Finding success in multiples ideas and projects and enjoying the process
- Anticipation mindset vs. anxiety mindset
- Making commitments to projects
- Deadlines and getting stuff done
- Relaunching and trying again
- Haters and critics
- Finding balance
- Giving back
PAUL SAID:'When you're doing multiple things, you're more insulated.' -@pjrvs Click To Tweet 'I go all-in and hyperfocus, and then move onto something else.' -@pjrvs Click To Tweet 'The more that I buffer the commitments I have, the easier it is for those things to get done.' -@pjrvs Click To Tweet 'A lot of creatives put all this work into making something and then they try to launch it just one time.' -@pjrvs Click To Tweet 'If you put yourself in your calendar, then you make yourself important.' -@pjrvs Click To Tweet
JASON SAID:'I don't put pressure on myself. Nothing I do hinges on just one thing working.' -@jasondoesstuff Click To Tweet 'I'm going to have more ideas. I don't have to squeeze every dollar out of every project.' -@jasondoesstuff Click To Tweet 'That's where you learn stuff—when you mess up, when you make mistakes, and when you have failures.' -@jasondoesstuff Click To Tweet 'Don't force yourself to work on something if you don't feel like it's going to get done right.' -@jasondoesstuff Click To Tweet 'Don't shortchange your brand just because you had a deadline that was arbitrarily set by you.' -@jasondoesstuff Click To Tweet
Resources discussed in this episode:
- Being Boss Episode #15: Finding Your Rat People with Paul Jarvis
- Being Boss Episode #35: How to Set Goals Like a Boss with Paul Jarvis
- Being Boss Episode #38: For Creatives Who Hate Selling with Jason Zook
- Alexandra Frazen
- Buy My Future
- Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook by Gary Vaynerchuk
- Brené Brown
- The 52×52 project by Jessica Hische
- The Integrity Cleanse with Martha Beck
More for Paul & Jason:
More from Kathleen:
- Braid Creative
- Free Braid ebook: 7 Ways Designers Become (& Brand Themselves As) Creative Experts
- And Kathleen (personal blog)
- The Braid Method Branding ECourse
- DIY Coaching for Creatives
More from Emily:
- Indie Shopography
- Emily M. Thompson (personal blog)
- Toolkits: a subscription service of guidance & tools to help you run your business like a boss, delivered straight to your inbox
- free Online Business Webinar Series
- Indie Tactics newsletter: free exclusive biz tips and tricks
- GYST Subscription
Connect with us on Instagram:
- Paul – @pjrvs
- Jason – @jasondoesstuff
- Being Boss Podcast – @beingbossclub
- Kathleen – @andkathleen
- Emily – @emilym_thompson