Today we’re chatting about the pros and cons of what it means to stay small in your business. Now at the beginning of the New Year we hear so many creatives talk about growing, and expanding, and increasing their social media presence and followers, but at the same time finding more intimacy and a close-knit community in their business and brand. So we’re really digging into what it means to stay small vs. what it means to grow your business, and how you can maybe even have the best of both worlds.
This episode is brought to you by:
- We’re going to Miami! Hang out with us for real in Miami this April—on a yacht! This will be the only official Being Boss Vacation of 2016. But hurry! Space is limited and these boss vacations sell out fast. Sign up here.
- Being Boss has a Facebook group! So much valuable conversation and connection is happening over there: Join us to talk about which investments you’re making/planning on making in your business over there!
- If you like Being Boss please rate & review us on iTunes – it helps us connect with more bosses to grow our amazing community!
- Check out our Being Boss Bundle today! It’s a combination of Kathleen’s DIY Coaching for Creatives email subscription and Emily’s Get Your Shit Together email subscription including all of our best tips, tactics, and worksheets straight to your inbox!
- Join the fun in the next #beingbosschat on Twitter! We’re chatting from @EmilyM_Thompson on Wednesday, January 6th at 6pm CST.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Building a brand vs building an agency
- Employees vs contractors
- Why having a small social media following might be a good thing
- Obsessing over numbers
- Knowing how big you need to grow to make a living and meet your own goals
- Nurturing relationships in your following
KATHLEEN SAID:'A lot of times the changes you're making in your business can be reflected on your website first.' -@andkathleen Click To Tweet 'Try not to be everything to everyone. Part of staying small is keeping your offering really narrow.' -@andkathleen Click To Tweet 'Knowing that there aren't as many eyes on you gives you a certain amount of freedom to be yourself.' -@andkathleen Click To Tweet 'You don't have to have a huge blog. You can stay small but still leverage someone else's audience.' -@andkathleen Click To Tweet 'It's about the people and not the numbers.' -@andkathleen Click To Tweet
EMILY SAID:'You can be more unapologetically yourself when you don't have the fear of pissing off the masses.' -@EmilyM_Thompson Click To Tweet 'If you have a sincere and productive goal, then looking at your metrics is important.' -@EmilyM_Thompson Click To Tweet 'You can absolutely change your mind about anything at any point, and that is not a bad thing.' -@EmilyM_Thompson Click To Tweet 'Focusing on one thing at a time that allows you to focus on multiple things at a time.' -@EmilyM_Thompson Click To Tweet 'Giving it away is everything to the creative entrepreneur. It feeds what we do.' -@EmilyM_Thompson Click To Tweet
Resources discussed in this episode:
- Being Boss Episode #45: The Golden Egg with David Heinemeier Hansson
- Being Boss Episode #48: Boss Integrity with Jay Pryor
- Kathleen’s blog post: Why I Quit Google Analytics
- Gabrielle Bernstein
- Being Boss Episode #52: New Year’s Resolutions
- Being Boss Episode #13: The Jealous Curator with Danielle Krysa
- Being Boss Episode #20: Push Goals with Chalene Johnson
- Daring Greatly by Brené Brown
- Rework by Jason Fried
- We Are All Weird by Seth Godin
More from Kathleen:
- Braid Creative
- Free Braid ebook: 7 Ways Designers Become (& Brand Themselves As) Creative Experts
- And Kathleen (personal blog)
- The Braid Method Branding ECourse
- DIY Coaching for Creatives
More from Emily:
- Indie Shopography
- Emily M. Thompson (personal blog)
- Toolkits: a subscription service of guidance & tools to help you run your business like a boss, delivered straight to your inbox
- free Online Business Webinar Series
- Indie Tactics newsletter: free exclusive biz tips and tricks
- GYST Subscription
Connect with us on Instagram:
- Being Boss Podcast – @beingbossclub
- Kathleen – @andkathleen
- Emily – @emilym_thompson