We’re so excited to finally have a lawyer on the show! Autumn Witt Boyd is an attorney who offers legal solutions for creative entrepreneurs—including contracts, copyrights, trademarks, and entity formation.
This episode is brought to you by:
- Cultivate your tribe and find your wolfpack in our exclusive community, the Being Boss Clubhouse. You’ll get access to our close and vibrant Slack group, monthly Q&A calls, a book club, and more! Sign up here.
- Being Boss has a Facebook group! So much valuable conversation and connection is happening over there: Join us to talk about which investments you’re making/planning on making in your business over there!
- If you like Being Boss please rate & review us on iTunes – it helps us connect with more bosses to grow our amazing community!
- Check out our Being Boss Bundle today! It’s a combination of Kathleen’s DIY Coaching for Creatives email subscription and Emily’s Get Your Shit Together email subscription including all of our best tips, tactics, and worksheets straight to your inbox!
- Join the fun in the next #beingbosschat on Twitter! We’re chatting from @beingbossclub on Wednesday, May 25th at 6pm CST.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Working with a lawyer does not have to be scary (8:09)
- First legal steps creatives can take to set themselves up as a legitimate business (9:25)
- The difference between trademarking and copyrighting (11:59)
- The difference between a sole proprietorship, an LLC, and an S-corp (16:00)
- Having multiple businesses and using a DBA (21:10)
- Copycats and when to sue people or take legal action (29:10)
- Taking legal action against haters (33:58)
- Filing a DMCA takedown notice (36:32)
- Intellectual property vs. copyrighting (40:21)
- When to hire a lawyer in your business (41:34)
- Self-publishing books and protecting your work (44:13)
- Contracts, Affiliate agreements, and giving others your content (46:16)
Kathleen said:Whenever you're feeling jealous, or competitive, ask yourself: What are they taking away from you? Click To Tweet
Emily said:Basically just don't be an asshole. Click To Tweet Find a lawyer and an accountant who understand your business. Click To Tweet
Resources discussed in this episode:
- Being Boss Episode #59: Finding Balance in Business & Life with Meg Keene
- Being Boss Episode #62: Partnering Up: Roles and Communication
- United States Patent and Trademark Office Database
- Young House Love
- Being Boss Clubhouse
More from Autumn:
More from Kathleen:
More from Emily:
- Indie Shopography
- Toolkits: a subscription service of guidance & tools to help you run your business like a boss, delivered straight to your inbox
- free Online Business Webinar Series
- Indie Tactics newsletter: free exclusive biz tips and tricks
Connect with us on Instagram:
- Being Boss Podcast – @beingbossclub
- Autumn – @autumnwboyd
- Kathleen – @andkathleen
- Emily – @EmilyM_Thompson