Today we’re welcoming illustrator and author, Becky Simpson, who has just launched Chipper Things, a product line based on her art. So today we’re talking about what it really looks like to make a living creating art, self doubt, and naming your business.
This episode is brought to you by:
- Cultivate your tribe and find your wolfpack in our exclusive community, the Being Boss Clubhouse. You’ll get access to our close and vibrant Slack group, monthly Q&A calls, a book club, and more! Sign up here.
- Being Boss has a Facebook group! So much valuable conversation and connection is happening over there: Join us to talk about which investments you’re making/planning on making in your business over there!
- If you like Being Boss please rate & review us on iTunes – it helps us connect with more bosses to grow our amazing community!
- Check out our Being Boss Bundle today! It’s a combination of Kathleen’s DIY Coaching for Creatives email subscription and Emily’s Get Your Shit Together email subscription including all of our best tips, tactics, and worksheets straight to your inbox!
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Becky’s decision to become an illustrator and author (6:22)
- Diminishing your early dreams and goals as a creative entrepreneur (12:00)
- Embracing your style (13:47)
- The hard parts of the “dreamy” artist process (17:43)
- Using your personal name vs. a business name (26:50)
- Tips and logistics for illustrators and makers who are just starting out (36:43)
- Focusing on creating the work you want more of (39:32)
- Advice for people who want to get started with their creative passion (42:45)
BECKY SAID:I created this mantra for myself: 'If it's not fun, you're doing it wrong.' Click To Tweet Starting is the hardest part, so if it's hard for you, you're doing everything okay. It's normal. Click To Tweet The best feeling is when I give myself permission to just fail. Click To Tweet
Resources discussed in this episode:
- Adobe Creative Residency
- Nic Annette Miller
- Girls Gone Mild pin
- Cedar Graphics
- Andrews McMeel Publishing
More from Becky:
More from Kathleen:
More from Emily:
- Indie Shopography
- Toolkits: a subscription service of guidance & tools to help you run your business like a boss, delivered straight to your inbox
- free Online Business Webinar Series
- Indie Tactics newsletter: free exclusive biz tips and tricks
Connect with us on Instagram:
- Being Boss Podcast – @beingbossclub
- Becky – @ChipperThings
- Kathleen – @andkathleen
- Emily – @EmilyM_Thompson