Changing your life through challenge
On August 1, 2021, I tackled a challenge to overcome my fear of being seen, dubbed my “Red Lipstick Challenge.” I went from not wanting to be perceived to writing a blog post for the Being Boss community a year later. Those thirty days changed me profoundly and permanently. I’ll share the mechanics of a challenge and then how my challenge changed my life. Thanks for coming on this journey with me.
Let’s start with the basics.
We often use it to provoke ourselves and others to do something outside our comfort zone, push harder, or stretch further. But how exactly can a challenge change your life? If you’re currently grappling with this question, you’ve come to the right place. In this blog post, you will discover precisely what a challenge can do for your life and why they are so effective at doing so. Read on to learn more about the benefits of challenges and how you can implement them into your daily routine.
What is a challenge?
A challenge is a self-imposed undertaking with a specific goal in mind. These can come in many different forms and can be completed alone or with a group of people. The key to a challenge is that it is difficult but achievable. The difficulty level of a challenge generates a sense of accomplishment and often serves as an indicator of your personal growth. Challenges can take many forms and can be completed for various reasons.
- Personal goals: One of the most common reasons to put yourself through a challenge. You can set yourself a goal in any aspect of your life, from improving your fitness routine to improving your communication skills with others.
- Charity Challenge: This is one of the best ways to help others get what you want. You can set yourself a challenge that can benefit a charity of your choice.
- As part of a team: Challenges can also be done in a group setting, which adds an extra level of difficulty and camaraderie.
- As part of a competition: Challenges can also be done as part of a competition to create extra incentives and build a sense of community.
Why are challenges effective?
Challenges are effective because they provide a sense of purpose in your daily life. By setting yourself a challenge, you are actively working towards improving yourself, whether physically, mentally, or emotionally. Challenges also create a sense of urgency in your daily life. Urgency is a crucial factor in success. It creates a need for action and spurs us into taking steps towards our goals. This can be particularly helpful for those striving to improve their physical fitness or eating habits.
Three ways a challenge can change your life
- Boost self-esteem and self-confidence: Challenges allow you to put yourself outside of your comfort zone, which is the best way to grow. Taking on a challenge and succeeding will boost your self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Improve self-discipline: Challenges can also improve your self-discipline. This is because challenges require you to put your self-discipline into action. You will have to find the time to complete your challenge and follow through.
- Build a new skill: Challenges can also allow you to build a new skill. This can be particularly helpful for those looking to pivot in their careers or make a change. Challenges allow you to try something new, gain experience in a new field, and build skills you can take with you.
Two ways to use the “30 Days” challenge
The 30 days challenge is a common one that is used by many. It can be used in multiple ways and is a great way to kick start your fitness routine, improve your diet, or even overcome a fear.
- Fitness: If you want to get into better shape, the 30 days challenge is a great way to kick start your routine. It will get you into the habit of exercising, which will help to build self-discipline.
- Overcome a fear: If you want to overcome fear, the 30 days challenge is a great way to do so. By setting yourself a challenge that involves facing your fear, you will be able to build up your courage and confidence over time.
This last one is the challenge I did. I grew up terrified about showing my face anywhere. If I could blend into my surroundings like a cool chameleon, I would have. The fear of being seen and my desire to be perfect and excel at everything made for a very interesting way to navigate the world for me.
Two Ways to incorporate challenges into your life
- Fitness challenge: Fitness challenges are prevalent among many fitness buffs and athletes. There are endless ways to set up a fitness challenge for yourself or with a group of friends. This is a great way to stay motivated and push yourself to your limits.
- Charity challenge: Charity challenges are a great way to get what you want out of a challenge while also helping others. Whether you are trying to raise money for a cause, change a habit, or trying to improve your communication skills, charity challenges can help.
Challenges are a fantastic way to boost your self-esteem and confidence and achieve your goals. They can help you to improve your self-discipline, build new skills, and even get out of your comfort zone, which is essential for growth as a person. Challenges can be difficult to undertake. But they are often the best way to achieve your goals and positively impact your life.
I’m so thankful to be able to share this story with you all and for Being Boss’ entire community for giving me a place to safely show my face and feel supported.
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, BE SURE TO CHECK OUT:
- Kathleen’s post about making little changes: What is the Smallest Change You Can Make?
- Being Boss Episode #20: Setting Push Goals with Chalene Johnson
- Being Boss Episode #84: Little Steps to Big Change with Katie Lee